PROJECTS - ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, KNUTSFORD
The Grade II* listed church, considered to be a major landmark in the historic town of Knutsford, was constructed in 1741-1744.
The project brief was to remove elements of previous re-ordering and to restore the building to its former Georgian glory.
The project was challenging given that the church was situated on a busy narrow thoroughfare and that a substantial amount of construction material and plant including excavators, tipper and crane lorries, concrete pumps, scaffolding, and delivery lorries had to service the site throughout the project.
This was successfully overcome by considerate site management, working closely with the local authority and surrounding businesses and implementing a flexible road closure plan that not only assisted construction operations but provided public access when required and at peak times.
In brief the works included substantial sub floor excavation within the church, construction of new solid flooring to incorporate a wet underfloor heating system, Internal demolitions, alterations, structural steelwork, traditional lime plastering to walls and lath ceilings, stone masonry to chancel steps, restoration to the Georgian font and marble flooring, substantial elements of bespoke hardwood joinery, carved communion rails, alterations and modifications to existing hardwood paneling, installation of American Oak flooring with Jatoba inlay, full mechanical and electrical installation, general floor finishes and sympathetic redecoration throughout.
The project was supported with specialist stained glass contractors who carried out extensive work to existing glazing and also by audiovisual contractors who installed a state of the art sound and television recording system.
Client: The Vicar and PCC of St John the Baptist
Architect: Graham Holland Associates - Knutsford
© Kingsmere Construction Ltd | Spath Road, Didsbury, Manchester, M20 2GT | T: 0161 448 2112 | M: 0797 320 5772